Corpsmembers work on projects involving environmental conservation, ecological restoration, public safety issues and public land beautification in San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Tuolumne, Calaveras and Amador Counties.
- Habitat Restoration
- Fire Fuel Reduction
- Light Construction
- Lot Clean-Ups
- Invasive Species Removal
Taking care of our environment!
Corpsmembers receive environmental education in which they learn the valuable skills of recycling and waste management. Corpsmembers support our communities by providing waste diversion for businesses, schools, special events, non-profits, municipalities, public works departments, and cities. Crews manage all recycling operations including collection, sorting and marketing to local businesses.
GVCC has partnered with San Joaquin Building Futures Academy to assist young men and women between the ages of 18 to 25 by giving them a second chance to earn a high school diploma, or GED.
San Joaquin Building Futures Academy will transform all students lives through academic achievement and acquisition of 21st century skills. We commit to using a comprehensive support system to ensure this happens.
San Joaquin Building Futures Academy will be a caring, compassionate, safe learning environment where students and staff are inspired and mentored to realize their full potential as lifelong learners.
Our students will recognize that they have the knowledge and skills to set and attain goals, identify triggers that hinder progress, problem solve and accept responsibility for their actions. Our students will empower themselves to become better human beings and positive contributors to their community.
STUDENT LEARNER OUTCOMES
Students will be positive contributors to their community
- Demonstrate responsibility for their own actions and choices
- Understand choices necessary to live a healthy lifestyle
- Contribute to their community through service
- Demonstrate respect for themselves and others
Students will be lifelong learners
- Realize the world is a classroom
- Demonstrate openness to new ideas
- Demonstrate self-knowledge, self-confidence and a positive view of the value of learning
- Demonstrate continuous progress toward mastery of a core body of knowledge (21st century skills)
Corps to career
- Explore job skills in a career pathway
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic and positive qualities
- Demonstrate perseverance
- Develop a post-secondary education plan and career plan
- Maintain, set and evaluate goals on a continual basis
- Demonstrate responsibility by maintaining regular, punctual attendance, completing tasks and managing time