The GVCC partners with the Come Back Kids Academy to assist our corps members by giving them a second chance to earn a high school diploma.
Come Back Kids (CBK) is a free, mostly online educational program that is offered through the San Joaquin County Office of Education (SJCOE) that can help anyone 18 years and older earn their high school diploma.
CBK is an independent study program that allows individuals the opportunity to complete the necessary coursework to obtain a high school diploma through flexible, individualized schedules.
This program will help adults who have wanted to advance in their jobs or education but have found that not having a high school diploma has held them back. CBK is offered through the SJCOE's one.Charter Academies.
Come Back Kids offers seven program locations in Lodi, Stockton, Lathrop and Tracy.
How To Enroll
- If you would like to enroll, please fill out the Come Back Kids Interest Form.
What To Expect
- At least one weekly appointment with a teacher.
- Online coursework with program issued Chromebooks to complete online coursework.
- WiFi availability in all classrooms.
Individualized Graduation Plan:
Upon entering the program, students will bring their transcript to be reviewed by a counselor. Credits previously earned will be applied toward the graduation requirements for Come Back Kids. Students will complete only one (5 credit) course at a time.
Student Learner Outcomes
Students will be positive contributors to their community
- Demonstrate responsibility for their own actions and choices
- Understand choices necessary to live a healthy lifestyle
- Contribute to their community through service
- Demonstrate respect for themselves and others
Students will be lifelong learners
- Realize the world is a classroom
- Demonstrate openness to new ideas
- Demonstrate self-knowledge, self-confidence, and a positive view of the value of learning
- Demonstrate continuous progress toward mastery of a core body of knowledge (21st century skills)
GVCC Corps to Career Program
- Enroll into the Virtual Job Shadow- Career Exploration Course
- Postsecondary education partnerships include San Joaquin Delta College and Columbia College
- Explore new career pathways
- Maintain, set and evaluate goals on a continual basis
- Demonstrate responsibility by maintaining regular, punctual attendance, completing tasks, and managing time