The GVCC partners with San Joaquin Building Futures Academy (SJBFA) to assist young men and women between the ages of 18 to 25 by giving them a second chance to earn a high school diploma or GED.
San Joaquin Building Futures Academy transforms students' lives through academic achievement and acquisition of 21st-century skills. SJBFA commits to using a comprehensive support system to ensure this happens.
San Joaquin Building Futures Academy is a caring, compassionate, and safe learning environment where students and staff are inspired and mentored to realize their full potential as lifelong learners.
Our SJBFA students recognize that they have the knowledge and skills to set and attain goals, identify triggers that hinder progress, problem solve, and accept responsibility for their actions. SJBFA students will empower themselves to become better human beings and positive contributors to their community.
Student Learner Outcomes
Students will be positive contributors to their community
- Demonstrate responsibility for their own actions and choices
- Understand choices necessary to live a healthy lifestyle
- Contribute to their community through service
- Demonstrate respect for themselves and others
Students will be lifelong learners
- Realize the world is a classroom
- Demonstrate openness to new ideas
- Demonstrate self-knowledge, self-confidence, and a positive view of the value of learning
- Demonstrate continuous progress toward mastery of a core body of knowledge (21st century skills)
Corps to career
- Explore job skills in a career pathway
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic and positive qualities
- Demonstrate perseverance
- Develop a post-secondary education plan, and career plan
- Maintain, set and evaluate goals on a continual basis
- Demonstrate responsibility by maintaining regular, punctual attendance, completing tasks, and managing time